Friday, October 24, 2014

Basic Grey - Herbs and Honey - Recipe Book



Hello,

Recipe Books.... mmmm... I am sure I have at least 10! How many do you have and do you use them regularly or are you like me and always refer to the same basic meals from a variety of books?

Here is a way to keep all your favourites in the same book and of course there is plenty of space to add your new favourites as you collect them!




A Handmade Recipe Book - using the deliciously named papers from Basic Grey's Herbs and Honey Range.


The papers I chose from the range for the Recipe Book were:  Strawberry, Pear, Radish, Raspberry, Tomato and Green Beans. (I pre-planned that I would have six sections in my Recipe Book so therefore chose six papers.) I cut each of these papers in half from top to bottom and put the other half aside for a later project.  I then scored across each paper at 20 cm down from the top and folded along the score line to create a pocket.



Next I used a circle punch to create a semi-circle in the top of each pocket. I then decided which direction I would like to face my pockets in the album - I chose to have them all facing forwards and I also decided the order I would like to have my papers in.
 
From an old Diary I cut the middle section from the papers - i.e. I removed the day/date from the top, removed the times down the side and the calendar section from the bottom and ended up with lined pieces of paper - you could use a new notebook for this if you like - I recycled paper that I already had... recycle, recycle!
 
In each tabbed section of the Recipe Book I placed 15 lined papers.
 
I cut the covers from an old book cover - I made them slightly wider than my papers to allow for the tabs for each section. I decided to cover my book before I bound it with my Zutter.  Here is the covered  book without embellishments.  I used Basic Grey Herbs and Honey - Carrot for the cover.



Inside the front cover - prior to adding tabs and pocket details.



Next for the tabs - I used my Envelope maker to create the edges of each tab - I cut a length of card the same length as the papers and punched with my envelope maker to create three tabs, I then cut this into tabs and created a double tab for stability for each of the six sections.



The sections I chose for my Recipe Book were - Starters, Mains, Desserts, Cakes, Drinks and Favourites.
 
I stamped these headings onto my created Tabs.



Using the Basic Grey Herbs and Honey Element Stickers, Die-cuts and Transparencies and Title Stickers, I placed a sticker on each of the six pockets and stamped the variations of recipes you could put into each section. For example under Starters, I stamped: Starters, Soups and Snacks. Under Cakes, I stamped Cakes, Biscuits and Slices and so on.




I placed a sheet of Notepaper (which you could use for an index) into each pocket and used a black marker to create faux stitching on each of the tabs. I also rounded the top corners of all the papers using my Corner Chomper.
 
Next, I cut Basic Grey Herbs and Honey - Artichoke into sections and with more embellishments from the Element Stickers, Di-Cute and Transparencies and the Title Stickers - I created my front cover. 

I die cut the wording using Tim Holtz Alterations - Vintage Market lettering from black card, which I then coated with glossy accents. Ribbons and rhinestones completed my Recipe Book.



 A view of the back cover and another of the front/side - my completed Recipe Book.






 Products used to create the Recipe Book were:
  • Basic Grey Herbs and Honey 12 x 12 papers - Strawberry, Pear, Radish, Raspberry, Tomato, Green Beans, Carrot and Artichoke;
  • Basic Grey Herbs and Honey - Element Stickers;
  • Basic Grey Herbs and Honey - Die-cuts and Transparencies;
  • Basic Grey Herbs and Honey - Title Stickers;
  • Tim Holtz Alterations - Vintage Market;
  • Recycled Card for Covers;
  • Recycled Diary pages for Section papers;
  • Notebook papers - for papers in pockets;
  • Circle Punch for pocket detail;
  • WRMK Corner Chomper;
  • Zutter and Zutter O'wires;
  • Cardstock for Tabs and Inside front and back covers;
  • Black Ink and black marker;
  • Alpha Stamps for wording;
  • Ribbon, rhinestones, brads and gel pen;
  • Glossy Accents;
  • Stampin' Up Envelope Maker

I hope I have inspired you to create your own personalised Recipe Book!

Happy cooking and creating.
 
Shell
xox


2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea!! Beautifully done... love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Margaret, I appreciate your comment!

      Delete